Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Slump

I feel as though I am at a hump in the summer.  It's kind of like reaching Wednesday during a week.  We must be about at the halfway point, which is good and not-so-good.  Kids don't want to go back to school, but working moms really need them to, if you catch  my drift.

We got back on Monday from 10 days in Florida.  It was easy to just let go and enjoy the break.  It's been 3 years since we had been there last.  As much as some people dread the heat and humidity of summer, I just absorb it all.  The Gulf of Mexico is absolutely glorious.  The water is calm and warm and clear.  This is our 3rd trip to Anna Maria Island, and I keep finding it a place that is hard to stay away from.  I have lived in Florida and traveled to other areas in Florida.  Anna Maria is like none of them.  It is laid back, barely touristed and just plain relaxing.  It's easy to visit beaches that are not swarming with other people.  It is true love for a vacation.  This trip, we avoided the hustle and bustle and extreme cost of Disney.  We chose instead to visit a few attractions in Tampa including the zoo, aquarium, science museum and a water park on the last day.  By then we were all ready to go home.
My boys were away to day so I was able to get the curving border trimmed and pinned onto the outer border.  It is getting close to time to pin applique to it!  Most of the applique pieces are ready for this process - only some that will be of silk are not prepped yet (am getting the silk next weekend).

I am blissfully chipping away at some wonderfully simple quilting projects the next couple weeks.  Don't get me wrong -- they are lovely quilts.  I am just delighted to be doing edge-to-edge quilts for a change. Custom quilting is mind and body stressing.  I can't do it all the time.  I have some vintage quilts on the docket tight now, and will show them next week I hope.

I received delightful news Tuesday.  My Big Bertha quilt has made the cut and will be at Houston this fall. 49% of the quilts did not make the cut.  I feel wicked fortunate.  Hope you all have a great week-

5 comments:

KathyinMN said...

Congrats on Houston!

When you show those simpler quilts, if you do, would oU mind sharing thoughts on creating the quilt sandwich? How it differs for long arm vs. regular machine (if it does)? Do you suggest a batting or do your clients? Thanks!

Susan Lawson said...

Congrats! Hope big bertha brings home the gold! (or blue!) :) sue

regan said...

Congrats on making the cut! Woot! And that vacation sounds wonderful.....but I think I'd need to go in the cooler months! This heat/humidity is sucking the life right out of me! lol Can't wait to see what you've been quilting up!

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

Absolutely beautiful so far! I love seeing your work in progress, it's like a tiny glimpse inside your wonderfully creative quilty brain.

Heritage Keepsakes said...

Congratulations on Houston!! I can't wait to see your beautiful work up close and in the 'real' when I attend this year, instead of how I normally do, which is pictures in a magazine.