Sunday, June 29, 2014

The New Generation

Summer is officially here and I am getting so little done.  I had two work days last week, but I only did client quilting on one of them.  I spent some time this weekend working on one quilt, but not enough to keep my head above water.  I must prioritize the kids's needs and wants better and coordinate when they do things, when friends are over, etc so something is accomplished!  Easier said than done.

On Friday, one son had a friend to play with and the other was still at music camp.  It gave my daughter and I uninterrupted time to work on a new quilt project alone.  She picked up fabrics at MQX and Paducah, and all that was stopping her was me determining a simple enough pattern and time.  On this quilt, she is doing the piecing of the top also.  Last year's was pieced by me and quilted by her.  By doing her own piecing, she is (1) learning this part, and (2) she can enter it in many more shows -- more specifically Vermont next June, where they give sewing machines to all junior quilters!  Pretty sweet.
 She has some interesting black and white prints, a pretty ombre purple that came from Caryl Breyer Fallert's studio (a Paducah find), and some solids by Michael Miller that we have yet to stitch with.  The Couture Cottons are very nice solids.
This pseudo-Paris themed quilt has a fun Eiffel tower print, which she loved.  Don't really know how the zebra print worked into it, but it is there!   The other black print I had, and thought it looked rather Parisiene, so we fussy cut the design and ran with it.  The plan is to have a fancy star with a pink poodle (completed with rhinestone collar) as the center block.  It doesn't exactly sound beginner so I best be pondering how to do this simply.

I have done a few other quilts lately, but two can't be shown as they are going into client books.  Here's one from May though that I had not yet shown.  This client (I believe) made this as one of her first quilts.  It has great piecing and technique, and was fun to quilt.  It got lots of feathers and other frills.  Feathers are placed where they will show best, but with the paisley print, it is a waste of time to feather that~

Here's a look at some of the blocks...
 and a few more blocks...

 I have quilts at a show this weekend in Shipshewana, IN.  I got the word that both of them took home a nice 1st place.  The shows are great in that they keep food on our table during the times when it is challenging for me to do the larger client quilts.  Plus they feel my soul to be able to make this type of quilt.

Though I am busy, I welcome the edge-to-edge type quilts.  If you happen to have any tops that you might want an all-over type quilting on, I can definitely take those this summer.  Just drop me a comment or email.


6 comments:

Lynette said...

Gosh, I love what your daughter is working on - what a fun mix of fabrics! The purple ombre pop is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I love the quilting on that quilt. It is wonderful that you are contributing to the next generation of quilters. You are inspiring for my longarming, I am trying to learn more custom than just crosshatching and feathers. Carole @ From My Carolina Home

Dora, the Quilter said...

Beautiful quilting.
And I love that your daughter is becoming a quiltmaker at a young age.
I wanted to make quilts from the time I was 2 and didn't get to do it until I graduated from college. (And my daughter, who is now in college, has no interest in learning how to make a quilt.)

Leeanne said...

Love to see the young ones take up quilting! beautiful quilt, lovely feathers as usual.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE that you and your daughter are sewing/quilting together -- that is SO wonderful!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

How awesome that your daughter will be piecing her next quilt ... she picked some fun fabrics too!